Every year I love putting together a round-up of all the new things expected to come to Walt Disney World in the coming year. Disney had major plans to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the park’s opening but due to park closures, construction delays, and budget constraints due to COVID, I am taking a slightly different approach to this post this year.
Walt Disney World in 2022 is all about construction projects finalizing, the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort, and things finally getting “back to normal.” With new shows, restaurants, rides, and resorts finally coming to completion in late 2021 there is plenty to look forward to for your 2022 trip.
1.50th Anniversary – The biggest change to the Walt Disney World 2022 lineup is that Disney World’s Most Magical Celebration will be happening ALL YEAR LONG. This will include special merchandise, special snacks, special shows, and more.
2. Enchantment | NOW OPEN – Disney Enchantment is the brilliant centerpiece to The World’s Most Magical Celebration—it debuted on the 50th anniversary on October 1, 2021. Be swept up in a world of wonder filled with friendship, love, and fun as you watch this nighttime spectacular unfold. Inspiring everyone to believe in magic, Disney Enchantment features captivating Disney music, enhanced lighting, stunning fireworks, and—for the first time—immersive projection effects that extend from Cinderella Castle down Main Street, U.S.A. at Magic Kingdom park.
3. Harmonious | NOW OPEN – Harmonious at EPCOT premiered in October 2021 and is happening nightly at EPCOT Park on World Showcase Lagoon. This new nighttime spectacular features a world of cultures sharing music and scenes to inspire.
4. KiteTails at Animal Kingdom | NOW OPEN – This new show in Animal Kingdom features a flying kite display set to music and filled with some favorite and familiar Disney characters. Simba, Zazu, Baloo and Rafiki, and more are sure to appear! This is a daytime show, so be sure to grab a times guide for details on when you can see the show at the Discovery River Amphitheatre.
5. Space 220 | NOW OPEN – Embark on the ultimate culinary exploration from this new expansion of the Mission: SPACE Pavilion.
Step inside Space 220 Restaurant—featuring a celestial panorama from a space station—for a delicious meal. To begin your journey, board a special space elevator that will ascend to the stars! Along the way, viewports will give you an aerial view of EPCOT as you travel high above the planet. As you dine, peer out and enjoy amazing daytime and nighttime views of Earth from 220 miles up.
6. Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure | NOW OPEN – Feel like you’ve shrunk down to Chef Remy’s size for a 4D culinary adventure based on the Disney and Pixar film Ratatouille. When you’re small, life is a big adventure!
7. La Creperie de Paris – There is a new dining experience in EPCOT’s France pavilion! The brand new Table Service restaurant, La Crêperie de Paris, features a menu from celebrity chef Jérôme Bocuse with everything made-to-order. The spot also offers a quick service component: Crêpes À Emporter at La Crêperie de Paris serves tasty crêpes on-the-go! Guests can look forward to savory crêpes called “galettes” and sweet crêpes among the offerings.
8. Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser COMING IN MARCH – More than just a “star wars hotel” this new resort offers a revolutionary new 2-night experience where you are the hero. Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser is like nothing else you’ve ever experienced: part live immersive theater, part themed environment, part culinary extravaganza, part real-life role-playing game—and yet so much more. Stay in a cabin or suite with an exquisite view of space. During the experience, you will explore the inner workings of the legendary starship, learn the traditional art of wielding a lightsaber and even jump on a transport to the planet Batuu—where your mission continues at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge!
9. EPCOT Neighborhoods | NOW OPEN – As of October 1, EPCOT has officially transformed into FOUR themed lands, otherwise known as “Neighborhoods.” These new neighborhoods include World Showcase, as well as the three new neighborhoods that used to be known as “Future World”: World Discovery, World Celebration, and World Nature.
World Discovery includes Test Track, Mission: SPACE, and the new Space 220 restaurant. Plus, once Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind, and the new PLAY! Pavilion are completed, they will also be added to World Discovery.
World Celebration, is the middle and includes Spaceship Earth, the Imagination Pavilion, and the newly opened Club Cool and Creations Shop. Currently, most of this area is still under construction, but it will someday include more additions like a Festival Area and Dreamers Point.
10. Connections Cafe & Eatery OPENING TBA – Get ready to welcome Connections Café and Eatery, a brand new Quick Service restaurant on the way to EPCOT’s World Celebration! Disney announced this upcoming dining option in November 2021. The new restaurant will be a quick-service option with an attached Starbucks in the location that previously housed the Electric Umbrella.
11. Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind | SUMMER 2022 – Take off on an intergalactic chase through space and time with the Guardians of the Galaxy. This family-friendly attraction features the first-ever reverse launch on a Disney coaster and is one of the longest enclosed coasters in the world!
12. Play Pavilion | OPENING TBA – Nearby, the Play! Pavilion is being built in the old Wonders of Life building. Disney describes it as an “immersive and interactive city” where they promise interaction with your favorite Disney characters, and it will be another addition aiming at a younger audience. There is no announced opening but I would predict we see this open with Cosmic Rewind in the summer.
13. Moana: Journey of Water | OPENING TBA – On the other side of FutureWorld, Journey of Water Inspired by Moana is a water maze, where guests can interact with magical, living water in a beautiful and inspiring setting. Moana’s Journey of Water will consist of a lush walk-through environment that engages and educates guests about the water cycle and how it sustains our world.
14. Woody’s Roundup | OPENING TBA – Woody’s Rodeo Roundup BBQ is a new table-service restaurant coming to Toy Story Land in Hollywood Studios, hopefully in Spring 2022. This one promises to be a great family-friendly dining experience. Woody and Jessie are said to make appearances here. And the restaurant is filled with Toy Story characters, toys, and everything you would expect to find in a Wild West Rodeo playset. We have no projected opening date yet.
15. Tron Lightcycle – Fall 2022 -TRON Lightcycle Run is a roller coaster under construction behind Space Mountain in Magic Kingdom’s Tomorrowland. It is a semi-enclosed launched steel motorbike roller coaster, based on the Tron films. If fast and fun are what you are looking for, you don’t want to miss this new coaster.
16. Cirque du Soleil: Drawn to Life | NOW OPEN – Drawn to Life began running in Disney Springs for Christmas 2021. In this first-ever collaboration between Cirque du Soleil, Walt Disney Animation Studios, and Walt Disney Imagineering, journey into a world where an animator’s desk becomes the stage and drawings come alive. The show is a celebration of life, accentuated by the delightful, mesmerizing movements of Cirque du Soleil’s acrobatic mastery.
17. Disney announced a new, interactive MagicBand coming to Disney World in 2022, and this MagicBand will change how guests interact in Disney Parks! The MagicBand+ will have new, immersive features that let Disney World guests be more than just spectators.
18. Genie | NOW AVAILABLE – Disney Genie is FREE and brings existing My Disney Experience features together in one place. Join a virtual queue at certain attractions, make dining and experience reservations, mobile order food at many locations, get help from a virtual assistant, and more.
This is a new addition to the My Disney Experience app. The Disney Genie will help you with things like:
Real-time tip board
Forecasted wait times
Restaurant waitlists, check-in, and reservations
Attraction virtual queues
When you purchase my Premier Planning Package, I help you use this new service to its fullest by making personalized recommendations in your daily touring plan
19. Genie + – When you take your day to the next level by purchasing Disney Genie+ service, you can select arrival windows for Lightning Lane entrances that are available at more than 40 attractions and entertainment across all 4 theme parks, one at a time throughout the day.
Disney Genie+ service will be available for $15 per Guest per ticketed day. You can add this to your ticket prior to travel for the length of your stay. If you only want select days you must add them during your trip.
20. Lightning Lane – A Lightning Lane entrance is a new queue available at select attractions and experiences through options Guests can purchase to save time in line. To use a Lightning Lane entrance, a Guest must select an arrival window through the My Disney Experience mobile app before embarking on the attraction or experience.
There are 2 ways to purchase and select arrival windows for Lightning Lane entrances—through Disney Genie+ service and as an individual purchase. The selection of available experiences with Lightning Lane entrances differs for each option.
21. Individual Lightning Lane Selection – Some of the most highly demanded attractions will offer Lightning Lane entry as an “á la carte” purchase. This option will be available for all Guests—with or without Disney Genie+ service—and lets you choose a time to arrive at up to 2 attractions each day (booked one at a time).
Pricing and availability will vary by date, attraction, and park. Be sure to check the My Disney Experience app on the day of your visit for current prices and attraction availability. Currently, the price ranges from $7-$15 per attraction.
22. “Hey, Disney” – “Hey Disney!” is a complimentary, and optional, new Guest perk coming soon to Disney Resort hotels.
Just Say the Word and the Disney Magical Companion Will…
Wake you with a message from Mickey Mouse and pals.
Find you a great place for lunch.
Order you more towels.
Tell you jokes, play stories or challenge you with Disney trivia.
Take you into the worlds of Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, and the Muppets for interactive character experiences.
A lot has changed around the world in the past two years, Disney is no different. If you are planning a trip and overwhelmed by all the changes get my Guide to Planning a Disney Trip in 2022 – comes with bonuses on how to navigate Disney Genie to save even more time.
Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered! Here are a few of my favorites.
Toys and Crafts to keep the kids entertained
*I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Showcase the World is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Showcase the World also participates in other affiliate programs and may earn a commission for purchases made through links on this site.